JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Christ "gave himself up" for the Church

Q2. (Ephesians 5:25) What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the Church? What does this teach us about God's commitment to us? Was this sacrifice altruistic or self-serving or both?

Giving Himself up for the church ( the bride; the congregation, the people; His own)... to give to her ALL OF HIS OWN... without selfishness, or is this a Selfishness of God's outpouring Love? So why is it He is called a God who is Jealous? God creates us in His perfect likeness. Knowing we are not yet made perfect until He is able; by choice of submission, to perfect that which is in us. He pursues on this course to Woo us, court us, be of service to us at any time of the day or night to bring us to Depend upon Him Souly. A selfishness in love to actually SACRIFICE all He possesses to Bring about a Pure, Holy People who may be Worthy to Share an Eternity in Marriage with Him. In this Selfishness, He actually becomes SELF-LESS... In His Sacrifice for what He desires. OOOOOHHHH what He sacrificed to GAIN. HALLELUJAH!!!

THIS MAKES ME REALIZE THAT ANY SACRIFICE IS TO BE FOR HIS GLORY... THIS IS ENOUGH TO MAKE ME REJOICE THROUGH MY PAIN... AND I REMEMBER... SINCE HE IS THERE WITH ME... HE GOES THROUGH IT TOO... FOR HE IS THE MASTER OF LONGSUFFERING AND FOREBEARANCE. JUST ANOTHER PART OF THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A PERFECT CHRIST. THE DAY IS COMMING FOR THE CHURCH WILL ALSO SACRIFICE EMMENSELY FOR THE GLORY OF THE LORD.

(Ephesians 5:25) What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the Church?

In Gen. 2:24, the law states that a man shall leave his mother and father and be joined with his wife as one flesh. We, being the bride, needed a groom and God provided us a groom. This groom endured much and conquered all to give His bride the gifts necessary to 'hold down the fort' until His return. Jesus is the groom and He left His Father/Mother and upon His death and resurrection became one with His bride .. the church.

What does this teach us about God's commitment to us?

That God obeys His own laws and written Word.

Was this sacrifice altruistic or self-serving or both?

Both .. as Jesus's sacrifice was for one and all.

;) "Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by thr Body of Christ (His supreme sacrifice!); that ye should be married to another, even to Him who is raised from the dead......Rom.7:4 :) What does this teach us about His commitment? That it is total! Jesus laid down His life for us, not only for the remission of our sins, but to also bring us back into fellowship with Himself, and the Father. God created man for fellowship, with Himself...sin separated us, and the Cross bridged the gap! :D As the Bride of Christ, washed in His Blood, we are standing in a place of privilage...by His side.

Christ "gave Himself Up" for the church that it could be saved and formed. We were in need of a saviour and also be reconciled back to the Father and Jesus was the way. We can trust and depend on God's committment to us because His word is true and it will never fail. This bring to mind the children of Isreal, even though they disobeyed, He never forgot His promise. This saccrifice was for us an unselfish act of love. God gave His all.

What does it mean that Christ 'gave himself up' for the Church?

Christ demonstrated the ultimate in self-giving love by his sacrificial death for the Church.

It shows us the amazing depth of God's love for the Church.

Can sacrifice be self-serving? I don't think so. Christ's sacrifice was in fact a huge gamble in one sense, since there was no guarantee that the disciples would continue to believe in Jesus' teaching after his death.

:rolleyes: Christ gave up all of His kingship to come to earth as a human baby. He suffered just as we do and He did this willingly. Our salvation was more important to Him than any of the things he left behind. His sacrifice was to carry out the plan of salvation God had formed ages before.

Gave Himself up-Christ done this willingly-know one took His life-He willingly gave Himself up for us, so that we may be as one as He is one with God.

God is commited to be with us indefinitely- permanently without change. This was altruistic-unselfish

Q2. (Ephesians 5:25) What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the Church? What does this teach us about God's commitment to us? Was this sacrifice altruistic or self-serving or both? Exposition

Christ gave himself up for the Chruch in that He became human and he willingly gave himself to death on a cross to forgive our sins. It teaches us that God is ultimately committed to each of us in that He gave us his only son as a sacrifice for sin so that we may ultimately enter into a personal relationship with God. Alturistic is defined as unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness. Christ's sacrifice on the cross was definately alturistic from His standpoint and from God the Father's standpoint. The only thing that God desires from us is a relationship with Himself, which is the purpose that we were created for.

Christ's death sanctifies and cleanses the church.He cleanses us from the old ways of sin and sets us apart for his special sacred service.This shows me how much God loves me.We belong to God and God has given His son Jesus Christ,who died for our sins and then raised from the grave,showing us how much he loves us.This showed Gods devotion to us.God was in know way selfish.God gave all He had in serving us.We should honor God and serve God, worship God with all we have,building His Church.

Q2aHe gave up everything when he give up his will and submitted to the will of the Father to minister and give his Life a ramson for many, saying "thy will be done." My meat is to do the will of Him that sent me and to finish His work (ohn 4:34) For I came down from Heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of Him that sent me John 6:38) Christ Jesus being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God; but made himself no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men, and being fashioned as a man, he humbled himself, and was obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin condemn sin in the flesh; that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us who would walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit (Romans 8:3,4)

Q2bHe is so committed in His love for us that he gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him hould not perish but have everlasting life. :D

The sacrifice was altruistic in that it as done out of his Love for us and self because we were created for his glory.

:) Christ "gave Himself up" for the Church means that He gave Himself as a sacrifice because of His great agape love for us. A love that gives over oneself so that the prize may be won and for the Church to be saved and formed, prepared to be His bride, unblemished, without stain... the bride in whom Jesus is returning for.

He is committed for life to transform us - the Church, into all that we can be in Him, a holy, radiant and glorious Church. Praise the Lord!

I am not so sure about this but I think the sacrifice was both self-serving and altruistic in nature.

Christ loves His church so much He gave up everything for her. His love for the church is a sacrifacing, self-giving love. Christ demonstated His love for the church when He died for our sins and we accepted the gift of salvation.

Christ submited Himself - gave up His earthly life to be crucified on the cross - He took each and all of our sins upon Himself - that we might have eternal life with God the Father. He boare our sins and sacrificed Himself for us. He submitted His life for me. He offered Himself for me - willingly, as a sacrifice to wipe away my sins.

God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on Him- Jesus - might have eternal life.

It was both - in that God, Himself, is perfect - omnipotent - awesome. Anyone who comes into His presence must be perfect -be cleansed of all sin - in order to even come before is presece. So - both......except that God is above all and in all and through all. Altruistic and self-serving are human traits and often thought of as negative. So with this in mind - neither. God is not human and He is an awesome God - in complete control of everything - in His own time!

By saying Christ "gave himself up" shows that He did not keep His life to Himself but died for the Church. This sacrifical, self-giving love of Christ is an expression of the extent of His love for the Church. God commands us not to love ourselves by only looking to our interests but to consider others better than ourselves. The sacrifice of Christ was not self-selving but He willingly gave up His life to please the will of His Father and also to reconcil us back to God. His love is agape love.

• 2 weeks later...

What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the Church?

This means that God sent His son down here in human flesh to demonstrate to us who He really is. In other words he gave himself up for us by dying on the cross and taking our sins upon his shoulders so that we may have a right to the tree of life.

It teaches us that he loved us so much, even though we were sinners and he was committed to us that's why he gave his life for us.

This sacrifice was altruistic because he did it without being selfish about it. He showed unselfish concern for the welfare of others. :D

• 2 months later...

(Ephesians 5:25) What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the Church? What does this teach us about God's commitment to us? Was this sacrifice altruistic or self-serving or both? Exposition

Christ went as a lamb to the slaughter - fulfilling all the OT types of sacrifice for sins. God's commitment to us in giving His only begotten Son is absolute. I don't think it is appropriate to compare self-serving or altruistic of God. Certainly the sacrifice was being concerned for the welfare of His people but can God serve Himself when He is complete in Himself. I wonder whether using these terms is too redolent of anthropomorphism?!

• 1 month later...

If you truly love someone, you want to give them joy at all times, even if it is going to cost you. If you know that they like a particular thing, you would want to be the one who can give it to them -- it is the same with Jesus. We need to be saved, we need to live a life without fear or the curse of death to hang over us. So He gave Himself up to the point of death because of HIs deep passion and love for the Church. It was a totally selfless love.

• 2 months later...

The Christ "gave himself up" for the Church means that He set aside His own needs and desires to fulfill His purpose and calling. This teaches us that God is wholeheartedly commited to us and that we sahould be just as committed to Him. This sacrifice was both altruistic and self-serving. It was altruistic because it was the greatest act of love ever shown. It was self-serving because if He had not sacrificed His son, noone would have salvation, but eternal damnation because we are all sinners.

• 1 month later...

(Ephesians5:25) What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the church? What does this teach us about Gods committment to us? Was this sacrifice altruistic or self-serving or both?

2a

If Christ had not given himself upon the cross and arose again on the third day, there would be no church today.

2b

This means that Christ loved the church so much that he gave up everything for the church.

3c

His love is an everlasting love(an Agape love)that is a self-denying love,a love that makes one willing even to lay down his life for another.

• 1 month later...

Christ gave Himself up for the church means that:

i Jesus never considered marriage

ii Jesus made a point of understanding people.

iii He persisted with us even though totally exasperated at times.

iv He saw His work as a whole work to be completed, and did not put it in the too hard basket ever (ie He stuck with the vision and goals He had received).

v He was entirely motivated by our needs and attended only to His absolute necessities.

vi He explained the principles of things constantly to His disciples and was patient, knowing they could not get it all at once.

vii Even while suffering crucifixion, His thoughts and cares were with us - "Father, forgive them, they don't know what they are doing"

vii His love overcame the fear of the cross and also the pain of the cross.

viii And heaps more.

If we kinow Jesus then we know His Father and ours. They are one in commitment to us.

This sacrifice was self-serving in the sense that God was achieving His own goals of building His church family. However, the sacrifice was entirely for our benefit. So perhaps there were both elements in it. After all, God is love, and loves Himself, and loves us no less that He loves Himself!

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Ephesians 5:25) What does it mean that Christ "gave himself up" for the Church?

Christ gave His all for us, because He loves us. A love that is impossible for us to comprehend.

God is committed to us for all eternity, if we will only accept Him. We can trust and depend on Him and His Word.

It was altruistic. He did it for us, so we would have the choice of receiving His salvation or refusing it. Then is could be said that it was also self serving, as He was doing His Father

• 4 weeks later...

When Christ came to earth in the form of man He emptied Himself of everything but His deity. He was willing to offer Himself up as the supreme sacrifice for our sins, He who knew no sin. He became sin for us so that we might go to Heaven. He suffered, bled and died in our place.

This teaches us that GOD so loved us that He gave His only begotten Son to die in our place. There is no greater love than this.

This sacrifice was altruistic, for the welfare of others.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
:D EPHESIANS 5:25, Q2----- " GAVE HIMSELF UP FOR THE CHURCH"---- GAVE HIMSELF TO DIE TO REDEEM IT. THE MEANING HERE IS, THAT HUSBANDS ARE TO IMITATE THE REDEEMER IN THIS RESPECT. AS HE GAVE HIMSELF TO SUFFER ON THE CROSS TO SAVE THE CHURCH. CHRIST'S LOVE-WORK FOR THE CHURCH IS THREEFOLD; PAST, PRESENT, FUTURE; (1)-- PAST; FOR LOVE,HE GAVE HIMSELF TO REDEEM THE CHURCH( EPH 5:25 ) (2)-- PRESENT; IN LOVE,HE IS SANCTIFYING THE CHURCH ( EPH 5:26 ) (3)-- FUTURE; FOR THE REWARD OF HIS SACRIFICE AND LABOUR OF LOVE, HE WILL PRESENT THE CHURCH TO HIMSELF IN FLAWLESS PERFECTION, "ONE PEARL OF GREAT PRICE" ( EPH 5:27, AND MATT 13:46 ). PRAISE THE LORD, AMEN. :rolleyes: