JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

What is the nature of the covenant between David and Jonathan? What does David receive? What does Jonathan receive? Who benefits the most from this covenant? Is it self-serving -- or not? What is the significance that God is witness to the covenant?

A covenant is a form of a treaty. Treaties should be subject to international law just as covenants should be subject to God's law. Both imply a commitment to a legal framework and way of thinking. Covenants are more personal, between individuals or an individual and God whereas treaties are impersonal as they are hammered out by lawyers.

So, in this story, David and Jonathan entered into a covenant. That covenant was binding not because of their strong friendship but because they both had submitted to the same moral framework, that of Yahweh. They shared the values of honesty and word-keeping (not entering into a covenant with duplicity or intention to break it in the future).

The covenant was mutually beneficial. Since Jonathan knew that his family line in the monarchy would end with his father, he received the promise from David to protect those who survived the upcoming monarchic upheavals.  David received Jonathan's loyalty and a similar promise of family protection.

Yes, this is self-serving. Covenants are rarely done (from a human standpoint) self-sacrificially. They assure some sort of benefit that accrues to the future.

Without God as "witness" the covenant has no moral heft or binding character. Note that the binding power of the covenant is contingent on future generations sharing the same faith as David/Jonathan. Individuals in the future who would not share their faith in God would also not feel an obligation to respect the covenants of dead ancestors. 

--

Right now, popular Christian figures are pointing at long-ago covenants made and recorded by early settlers to the United States as proof that God will "save" the United States (Robert Hunt at Cape Henry, 1607).  But a covenant is only as secure as the willing agreement of it's signatories. And, I'm not at all certain that, from the stand point of a Christian hundreds of years later, that this covenant is binding on me, God, or others. Nor do I have any proof that God agreed to this covenant. All I have is the written desire of a settler who wanted to see his own errand into the wilderness as something God ordained and would bless forever. His covenant, as far as I know, is one-sided, for God's participation and willing submission to the terms of the covenant are not known (or expected).

Robert Hunt cannot bind God with a covenant he conceived and wrote. I cannot bind God with my words, either. I cannot force Him to agree to something, irrespective of how morally good my want may be. God is not bound by my fantasies, prayers, dreams and desires. So, the prayer of a man, long ago, on the shoreline of America, never obligated God. There is no covenant. God could choose to agree to the terms of Hunt's covenant ... or choose not to. God is not limited or coerced by our covenantal-like words.

The desire of Christians to assume divine power -- binding and loosing, releasing angels, making covenants -- does not mean that these powers are real or that any of their uttered words forever bind God to respond in ways they desire.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1 Samuel 20:35-42)

What is the nature of the covenant between David and Jonathan?

It's a enduring covenant they sworn to each other, in the sense that no one of them will hurt each others descendances.  

What does David receive?

Assistance from Jonathan to escape from his father (Saul). 

What does Jonathan receive?

Received assurance (securance) from David when David became next King.

Who benefits the most from this covenant?

Great risk for both of them, both risks their lives.

Is it self-serving -- or not?

Yes and No.

Yes they think of their own thing at present and no, because they also think of their future (their descendants).

What is the significance that God is witness to the covenant?

They have sworn in the name of the LORD.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (1 Samuel 20:35-42) What is the nature of the covenant between David and Jonathan? They swear to remain friends and never harm reach other.

What does David receive? David receives confirmation of Saul's intentions and security of his friend who will surely do what he can on David's behalf in hoe absence.

What does Jonathan receive? Jonathan receives security for himself and his descendants when David becomes king.

Who benefits the most from this covenant? Jonathan

Is it self-serving -- or not? Yes and no.

What is the significance that God is witness to the covenant? That even if they begin to doubt each other, they can trust in the Lord to hold them accountable should one of them attempt to break their covenant.