JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

3a)David has the power to have Nathan killed if he didn’t like what he was told.

B) Device is Projection, storytelling-Nathan sets up a comparison with similar situation as David’s that he could get emotional/angry about but with different names to allow David to make a judgement without realising he is judging himself.

C)When David had spoken out that the rich man was sinner needing judgement, Nathan was able to help him apply hat story to what David had done.Logic was finished, he had to be accountable as a leader. David saw more easily his need for forgiveness and repentance.

• 1 year later...

(2 Samuel 12:1-10) Why might it be dangerous for Nathan the prophet to confront the king? What device does Nathan employ get the king to listen to him? How does David's condemnation of the rich man's greed help him acknowledge and condemn his own actions?

Nathan risks his life when he confronts King David with his sin.  Nathan used a wise tactic to approach David with a story of a similar situation and gets David to agree that this was rebellious sin against God. David had been rebelling against God's commands, but he listens to Nathan's harsh words, recognizes that God is speaking to him, and repents of his sin.

• 6 years later...

1.Why might be dangerous for Nathan to confront David?

As a king David might not have listened  to him and disregard what he was telling him

2.What device he used to get David listen to him.  He narrated a story which was similar  yo what David did

3.Nathan God David ,the story he narrated was referring  to him and what he did. He condemned himself as he already said the man who did this does not deserve to live

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q3. (2 Samuel 12:1-10)

Why might it be dangerous for Nathan the prophet to confront the king?

What device does Nathan employ to get the king to listen to him?

How does David's condemnation of the rich man's greed help him acknowledge and condemn his own actions?

The king could do anything to Nathan. (Bind him and imprison him and worse even kill him.)

Nathan bravely tells the king a story or parable wherein it is easy to see what had transpired, as though looking in a mirror.  David often had to be judge in things that happened and would have to give his verdict .  That was the type of story that Nathan used. Not something far-fetched, but something real.   

David judged the rich man and when Nathan pointed out that it is actually, he himself. David broke down and acknowledged his sin.  He recognized that not only had he sinned against man but also against God.  He repented , but paid dearly for the sin he had committed.  

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q3. Confrontation
  • 9 months later...

Why might it be dangerous for Nathan the prophet to confront the king? What device does Nathan employ get the king to listen to him? How does David’s condemnation of the rich man’s greed help him acknowledge and condemn his own actions?

Nathan probably didn't have anything to worry about as I don't think it would be in David's character to kill a prophet who speaks for God. Obviously, David would kill military men and fighters and would even kill one of his own soldiers, Uriah, but I doubt he would have killed Nathan. So Nathan's life wasn't threatened, though he may have been worried about being exiled. From Nathan's perspective, God had told him to confront David. Since he was doing God's will, God would have protected him. His command was Nathan's enablement.

Nathan didn't directly accuse David. He used a parable to indirectly accuse him and to get David to admit that his own behavior had been despicable. I'm not sure why he did this. When Elijah confronted Ahab, he blurted out his condemnation. He didn't obscure his message with parables or metaphors. He just spoke what needed to be said. Nathan, however, took a more torturous path to the same goal. Perhaps it was just his personality, that he wasn't confrontative. 

I wonder how David would have reacted if Nathan had overtly confronted him rather than take a round-about method of telling a parable. My hunch is the reaction would have been the same. David was a man with a guilty conscience. He must have felt a distance from God, that God wasn't in sweet communion with him as He had been in the past. I guess I'm saying that the parable wasn't necessary and is irrelevant, in a way, to how the story of David and Bathsheba ends. David would have been ashamed and guilt-ridden either way.

I admire David for admitting his sin and dealing with it so openly before God. He didn't try to cover it up once he knew that God had "noticed" what he had done. Even though he was in very deep trouble, he was close enough to God to understand His compassion and willingness to forgive. He knew God's character ... as well as his own. He had sinned. It was time to repent and restore, to do whatever God asked to right the situation.

The consequences of his sin persisted. Uriah was dead. His wife was part of the harem but probably wanted to be with her "real" husband, Uriah. I doubt she loved David and am certain she deeply grieved for her dead husband. David's reputation was forever tarnished among his people and soldiers. I wonder what the other women in the harem felt about Bathsheba and how they treated her. Like Michel, Bathsheba was forcibly impressed into David's harem, taken from her husband. Tragic!!!

• 1 month later...

Q3. (2 Samuel 12:1-10)

Why might it be dangerous for Nathan the prophet to confront the king?

David as king has the authority to kill Nathan.

What device does Nathan employ get the king to listen to him?

Nathan sets up the comparisons: The rich man (David), who has numerous cattle (wives), takes the only lamb (Bathsheba) of the poor man (Uriah).

How does David's condemnation of the rich man's greed help him acknowledge and condemn his own actions?

Because of David's that was righteous, it was easy for him to judge the event.  As David has said, surely as the LORD lives, the man who did this deserves to die!  He must pay for that lamb four times over, because he did such a thing and had no pity. When realized this related to him condemn his own action. 

Q3. (2 Samuel 12:1-10) Why might it be dangerous for Nathan the prophet to confront the king? The king has the power to kill him

What device does Nathan employ get the king to listen to him? A judgement story

How does David’s condemnation of the rich man’s greed help him acknowledge and condemn his own actions? Helps him see the parallel to what he did and why it was so F'd up!