JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Punishment and Disgrace

4a)David is guilty of breakingOTlaw, willful putting his own lusts/actions of deceit &murder before his love&obedience of God&demonstrating rebellion against God.He deserves punishment of death the sword for adultery

.b)Instead because he admits he has sinned,God takes away his sin,giving him mercy and demonstrates his punishment for David’s rebellion not directly but through calamity of his household,people in the death of the son that Bathsheba bore,&David’s sons who go on to repeat the pattern of sexual sin&murder themselves e.gson Absalom sleeping with concubines publically.David

c)The covenant provisions that breaking covenant results in punishment through people the rod of men& floggings afflicted by men.

d)David’s sins hurt God’s reputation with his enemies,making the unbelievers belittle the God of David.

e)Our sins also hurt God&his reputation with unsaved.We misrepresent Christ in our actions closing the door to salvation,when we disrespect the Lord&his commandments.The lost say we believers are no different from them if we demonstrate darkness in what we do,instead of light

• 1 year later...

(2 Samuel 12:10-14) What punishment does David deserve? What does he get instead? How does this punishment relate to the provisions of the Davidic Covenant in 2 Samuel 7:14-15? How do David's sins hurt God's glory? How do our sins reflect on Jesus Christ?

I believe David deserves harsh punishment because he had been anointed and hugely blessed by God, and was the highest leader of the nation of Israel, followed by many people.  God could have removed him from his position, or ruined his kingdom.  God chooses to punish him through the loss of a child, which is severe in itself.  This sint disturbs God's glory because so many people are watching David's actions and plans are delayed because of the punishment.  The same happens when we are in rebellion and these actions observed by people who may be confused by our behavior and wonder about our relationship to God. 

• 6 years later...

1.What punishment  David  deserve? He deserved to die.

2. What he got instead? The death of his son with Badsheba

3.How does this punishment  relate toto GpDavidic covenant? The word says " I will punish him with a sword of men" Meaning his family will die at man's hand

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Samuel 12:10-14)

What punishment does David deserve?

What does he get instead?

How does this punishment relate to the provisions of the Davidic Covenant in 2 Samuel 7:14-15?

How do David's sins hurt God's glory?

How do our sins reflect on Jesus Christ?

The punishment was a life for a life. So David actually deserved death.  David is not the one who dies but the baby born to him and Bathsheba , dies.  

David's sin is forgiven him, but he will get to reap the consequences of his sin.  Shame will come on his reputation.  He had committed the sin in secret, his concubines/wives will be sexually molested in broad daylight, for all to see, and on top of it all by his son.  Many of his offspring will commit sexual sins and commit murder.  

Punishment /Discipline is meted out to David.  In the Covenant, God promised that He would punish the perpetrator as a father would punish his son.  He also added that he would have mercy on him.  

The nation's round about, saw that up till now David had proved to be different. He had shown clearly in his conduct that he was serving God and not following the footsteps of other earthly rulers, and now this conduct had marred that reputation.  In the same way, if we sin, be it by bad mouthing someone, stealing, sexual sins, or whatever it is, we are displaying to the world that this is the way someone who follows Jesus Christ acts.  It is not us they see but they see that it is way of life of a Christian.  This is not a true reflection of Christ.  His image is tarnished by our lifestyle.

• 1 year later...

I must confess that this passage makes me uncomfortable with God’s love. My all-knowing God surely knew David’s weaknesses and circumstances yet didn’t compassionately hedge him in to prevent him from sinning. Given that God foreknew what David could do, is there not an obligation to stop him? (I just hit on the question of evil without meaning to.)

Creation itself “fell” yet our all-knowing God created anyway. God knows we’re weak. He knows our sinful propensities. Someone like David with unbridled passion tempered by a harem of women, the absolute power to do what he wants and extreme boredom would surely fall into sin at some point. God knew this. But He let it happen. He let David sin.

I know the answer … it’s all about free will … and God doesn’t let us be tempted beyond what we can withstand, right? This means David CHOSE to sin as he could have chosen otherwise. He CHOSE to sin because God gave him the free will or ability to make that choice. I can’t help but think, however, that such a free will is cruel given that the punishment for sin is eternal, without hope; hell itself. I think I'd rather have NO free will than the possibility of hell forever.

-- To set up a system of laws that no one can fully obey is to set humans up for failure.

-- To set up a system of grace whereby we are forgiven but still wallow in the effects of our sin is far better, of course, but we still fail. And suffer.

It seems to me that we need not only forgiveness but also to have our messes cleaned up while we are on earth. We need to be delivered from sin AND its consequences. This doesn’t belittle or negate the horror of sin, but does recognize the horror of having to live with the consequences of sin. It also acknowledges that ALL of us sin, therefore will suffer the consequences of sin.

On earth, consequences aren’t meted out fairly. Some people get away with a lot. Others have their lives ruined. And the poor baby that was a consequence of the sin of David was killed, though David himself survived. In what system of justice does a baby die for the father’s sin? That child, that poor baby, had been condemned to die before he was born. All David’s descendants would be punished, too. So though God was merciful to David by not killing him outright after his sin, He is still responsible for the set-up of a universe in which we necessarily sin.

This deeply bothers me. I can’t resolve it.

Did David’s sins hurt God’s glory? Yes. Our sins hurt God’s reputation among unbelievers. Believers, or at least mature ones, understand sin, however.

Christians in positions of influence or power have a particular responsibility to NOT sin, a responsibility they cannot meet but try to meet anyway. Perhaps one of the reasons for miracles is that they transcend humanity and the realm of sin. They transcend natural laws. Miracles are a sort of work-around – they work-around our sin. When a miracle occurs, God inserts himself directly into human history without using humans as an vehicle – we can't do those miracles ourselves which is why they are miracles. Thus, God reveals himself outside of our agency. He thereby saves his own glory.

If God wants glory, then, He will find it in a most pure form outside of humans. In nature, for example. In mathematics. In miracles. In all His divine down-reachings which don’t involve humans. The minute we are involved, His glory is diminished. 

--

Lord, show me how a system in which we necessarily sin is compassionate. Show me your love in all this. Amen.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (2 Samuel 12:10-14)

What punishment does David deserve?

To be punish to dead.

What does he get instead?

David and Bathsheba's son dies.

How does this punishment relate to the provisions of the Davidic Covenant in 2 Samuel 7:14-15?

He will be punish accordingly as a father punish his son.

How do David's sins hurt God's glory?

David is the man after GOD heart, to do such things break GOD's heart. Although David has repent for the sin his has done, still people see it other wise.

How do our sins reflect on Jesus Christ?

Our actions reflect on the Lord we claim to serve. One of the reasons that so many people are closed to the gospel in our day is because of hypocritical actions by church people. By our lives we have brought "utter contempt" on Jesus. 

Q4. (2 Samuel 12:10-14) What punishment does David deserve? Public knowledge of his sin to Israel and judgement from Bathsheba, her daddy, and her grandpa. Also, any of Uriah's family if they're alive.

What does he get instead? The rape baby dies and there's calamity in his household.

How does this punishment relate to the provisions of the Davidic Covenant in 2 Samuel 7:14-15? That man be punished for his sin by his fellow men.

How do David’s sins hurt God’s glory? The hypocrisy makes it hard for others to want to be good and follow His word. Folks see what David did and think maybe God doesn't exist since the king claims to love Him, yet did these callous things.

How do our sins reflect on Jesus Christ? Folks think we use a name to clean our hands of what we do. It's not an excuse or free pass. We receive punishment and forgiveness, but always a punishment.