JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

By hurting the church a person is hurting the new chosen people of Christ. They are causing a hurt that can go into the sould of the person. they are breaking on of the greatest commandments that Jesus himself taught. To love others as we love ourselves. For these reasons, I do believe that God will deal harshly with these individuals.

I feel that there needs to be open communication in all congregations. Every person has a right to be heard. However, I feel that there needs to be a ruling body that can put a stop to all of these rebels doing harm to the whole of the church. However, I do know that I am giving people too much credit to do things fairly and this does not happen in too many incidents. I have seen a congregation torn apart by egos with money. And no matter how much logic was presented to the wrongful acts, they just do not wake up to reality. I truly believe that we need to keep God in all of our decisions. We need to go to him in prayer at all times.

• 6 years later...

(1 Corinthians 3:17) Division and church splits injure people, especially tender new believers. Why do you think there is such a harsh punishment for those involved in hurting Christ's church? What are better ways to deal with differences in the church?

The punishment is harsh because it could mean turning many away from following Christ. 

God's way is always the best way..

Call together the offended parties. Talk though the difference. Pray. 

Don't do it alone. Let the Holy Spirit guide

• 1 year later...

It's best, in my wee opinion, to leave a church to find a more congenial/faithful congregation than become mired in nasty and bitter church politics. I did this. Quietly, I walked away. I didn't make a fuss. I didn't say anything to anyone. Others made a similar, uncoordinated decision. 

A church is as strong as its members' spiritual depth. Sometimes, when congregants walk away, the remaining members are purged of troublemakers and are strengthened by their absence; at other times, when congregants walk away, the remaining members are so depleted of deep and mature Christians that the church sputters and folds. In the West, the physical landscape is littered with shuttered churches that have been turned into private residences, community theatres and restaurants. Although this grieves me, I do see how this churn can be healthy.

It's easy to accuse those who leave of "hurting the church" but that's often not the case. It it quite possible that the church hurt them. In the case of my church, two new churches were started by former members, both of which have called new pastors to lead them. The old church struggles on. It's pastor just announced his retirement and, from the sidelines, I'm eager to see if the pastor chosen to replace him will be a godly, deep man.

My litmus test to determine the motive and right spirit of a person who leaves a  contentious church is as follows:

• Did he/she leave quietly?
  • Did he/she leave gently without hurting anyone directly?
  • Was leaving an ego-play or was it done humbly?
  • Was leaving done for spiritual or important theological reasons?
  • Did he/she continue to pray for the church's revival and restoration after leaving?