JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Harmony in the Church

My Church was formed 2 years ago.  I find that there is to al large degree all the qualities Peter mentions but there is friction among members ever so often.   We as a congregation, in my opinion, need to bond together as one church body since there are often disagreements/ power struggle among a few members on decisions that affect us as a body.

The quality that is most needed is harmony.  We need to always remember why we are in church, to serve God, and thus work together for the progress of our church.

We have to get all members of the congregation maybe doing bible study together so that we can see God’s need for us to be more like-minded.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?

Our congregation has most of these qualities mentioned by Peter. Humble, loving/affectionate, compassionate, harmonious, sympathetic. I have been there a little over a year, and that's what caught my attention. We are a big family. When one hurts, we all hurt. When one laughs(promotion, pregnancy, new house, etc) we all celebrate. 

I really can't think of anything that our church can change or do except tone it down some on the music. It can get pretty loud for older people that are used to older quiet/mellow type of worship. Other than that, I see a church that is definitely striving to be Christ-like.

What I, myself, can do is to continue to pray that I, too may reflect these qualities. I'm not used to expressing much sentiment. I feel like I'm the oddball. I pray for a heart like Jesus. I see the change in me, but I have a long way to go. Just need to continue to let the Holy Spirit guide and lead me.  

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2004 at 10:06 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?

1. I would say compassion and courteous( tenderhearted) and humble are the most evident.

2. I think because I've been in 12 step Bible studies for many years, which foster wonderful caring, safe, loving and supportive relationships, church relationships seem guarded and a bit distant for the most part lacking  intimacy and closeness. Most are warm friendly and helpful, though on a "surface" level.  Home groups are helping to establish closer relationships.

3. For my part before I leave home I ask the Lord to help me see his people with His eyes, and to lead me to those that He knows need a hug, or a listening ear or conversation or prayer. I have been happily stunned at how He honors this prayer with anointed fellowship! I meet people I would not generally meet and try to remember at least their first name. (large church) This is coming from a place of inner healing for many years, and remembering when I was a new believer and timid, that typically no one spoke to me at church functions and I'd go home and cry.

On 3/20/2004 at 1:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Of the qualifications Paul mentioned that are most evident in our church is being affectionate to our brothers and sisters.

Compassion would be the one quality that is most needed in our church.

I and my friends could be more sympathetic compassion one for another.   

All are displayed in our church.  There are some who are spiritual babes and they need to grow.  We can help them by displaying harmony & blessing to all. Don't look simply at your needs, but the needs of others around you.

As Christians first we understand to be good live each other,

we understand harmony, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble.

Because of that Peter tells us from old live to grow up  and  live each other in our Church.

One Thing to practice in our life is Blessing.

. (3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your church so it is more Christ-like?

The qualities that evident in my Church are harmony, brotherly love and compassion. But many struggle in aspects forgiving one another and would rather retaliate as they say that they do not have the third cheek to turn once the two cheeks have been slopped; in this case they will retaliate with evil for evil.

We thus need to turn to God for the grace to tolerate one another and to forgive one another.

• 3 weeks later...

The quality most evident in my church is being affectionate as brothers and sisters.  The most needed is humility, which is, sadly, missing from many congregations.  As brothers and sisters we must encourage each other to do these things that honors Christ and harmonize the fellowship. 

• 6 years later...

Though I’m not sure which of the listed qualities is most evident in my congregation, it’s probably the quality of being harmonious. I’m not sure this is a good thing, however. Harmony, in this congregation, has become conformist. We are expected to lock-step by worshiping in particular, idiosyncratic ways, without deviation or “independent thinking.” In my wee opinion, we need the ability to pull the camera back, tone down the enthusiasm and quietly reflect on where we are going. More humility would help. Much more.

Again, I strongly feel that in a culture with choice, we should choose the congregation that best works with the future God has revealed for us, our calling and purpose. If we are called to foreign missions, then we should align ourselves with a church that has a strong missions focus and many international congregants. If called to an intellectual endeavor, we should join a group with many study groups. If politically focused, then find a church with politicians and activists, etc.

It breeds contention to join a church that is uncomfortable or has never supported or “felt” your calling. There must be a happy medium between a uncomfortable church that rubs off the burs of your personality and a church that’s so comfortable you’re not prodded to growth. I do think it is important to stick with a church once joined, but that church must be a place where you can exercise your gifts and serve … not all are. Churches are as varied as individuals.