JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q12. Should worship be a “sacrifice” for us in the sense that it costs us something in time, effort, or focus? Which of the New Testament forms of “sacrifice” and “offerings” are most meaningful for you? Which are most difficult for you?

• 1 month later...

God says he dies not want sacrifices ( offerings of animals given in the OT). He wants obedience. Sacrifices are acts of obedience, when you let the Spirit inside you manifest Himself by not listening to your flesh ( ego). Worship, gratitude, prayer, praying fir your enemies, reading the Word are all sacrifices to the Lord because ultimately, you will be acting in obedience, and at the same time, using the armor of God in Ephesians 6. Let s remember we are in a spiritual battlefield all the time. 

Sometimes worship is spontaneous and easy. At other time, however, worship seems forced and contrived. I suppose the idea of worship-as-sacrifice refers to the times when the heart is heavy, suffering is intense and God seems distant. At those times, it is costly to worship. It's a sacrifice, that is.

Very recently, I was so angry with God that I stood with my arms crossed over my chest, tears streaming down my face … feeling so betrayed by God that I could not worship. And yet, I stood there. In obedience. Trying to see good in a very evil circumstance. That’s a sort of sacrifice. In retrospect, though I was seething inside, I think God understood my anger toward Him, and in an odd way, I believe He counted it as a true sacrifice. It is not a sacrifice to love God when all is well – that’s just a natural, human response. It’s easy to love God when He graciously blesses me. It’s when God allows circumstances to go dark and become oppressive, times when I beg God to take my life because existence itself seems futile, that my half-hearted prayers, attendance at church, devotional readings and the study of scripture rise to the level of sacrifice.

A sacrifice both costs me as well as demands my obedience. It isn’t just doing something I know I should do which takes time, money and energy – a ritual, for example – but actually inflicts pain on my soul. It hurts.

• It’s easy to superficially love others but a sacrifice to really mean it.
  • It’s easy to say to myself that I’ve been surrendered, but a sacrifice to give up something I deeply desire or crave.
  • It's easy to tithe when the money flows but a sacrifice when I’m not certain I can cover my expenses that month.
  • To witness to a stranger is much less of a sacrifice than to witness to my atheistic son and daughter who consequently reject me.
  • To praise when nothing is going well in life is far more of a sacrifice than to praise when life seems to be going my way.
  • Even to pray … to utter words to a distant or cruel God, is a sacrifice when praying effusively out of happy-making events is easy.

To sum: A sacrifice has to be difficult. Emotionally and otherwise. It has to be done out of begrudging obedience. It has to be personally costly.

Yes, we praise and express gratitude and love for God when we are happy, feeling satisfied, know God’s presence and hear His voice clearly. These are wonderful times. Our words at these times please God, but ... they are not sacrifices.

Worshipping God with a  desire to please Him for who He is does  come natural to us.There is a price,  a sacrifice of self ,a surrendering of our wIll to Him who owns us now in Christ Jesus. 

Offering the early hours of the morning, in praise, prayers and intercessions is part of a sacrifice to obey God. 

It is not easy to accept criticism and being judged and hurt,to forgive and to love my neighbors as we love ourselves.

Q12. I think worship should cost us something sometimes, when things in life are going well, it is relatively easy to worship. Sometimes it just comes naturally. Then there are other times when we are tired, worried, disappointed, or maybe unable to concentrate, then it is a sacrifice to worship. We need discipline to make ourselves pray , study, go out to the prayer meeting, call to see our next door neighbour, when we do this it is a sacrifice and the sign of a true disciple. 
The most difficult sacrifice for me is trying to speak to others about Jesus. So often I just don’t know where to start! I find it hard to get past the first couple of sentences, unless I get a positive response, which seems quite rare.

I enjoy visiting the elderly who are unable to get out anymore. If they are able to go out, I take them out for a drive and coffee/lunch. 
I enjoy supporting charities who are doing great work with poor children, giving them schooling, teaching them about Jesus, etc.

I enjoy church and the teaching and singing with likeminded Christians. I enjoy study groups , exploring and learning from the Bible. 

On 3/18/2024 at 7:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q12. Should worship be a “sacrifice” for us in the sense that it costs us something in time, effort, or focus? Which of the New Testament forms of “sacrifice” and “offerings” are most meaningful for you? Which are most difficult for you?

Yes, It is a sacrifice because our bodies think worldly and we want to relax and close our eyes or be entertained by TV.  I am asking God for deliverance and to spend more time fellowshipping with Him, reading the word, studying it and praying.  Things are robbing us in our fellowship with God and the devil will see to it, in distractions.  We have to become overcomers of our flesh.  

Loving God and love my neighbor, prayer and fellowship with God, worship and give thanks and alms.

Proclaiming the Gospel and how to present it. 

Q12.

Should worship be a "sacrifice" for us in the sense that it costs us something in time, effort, or focus?

JESUS the perfect sacrifice is worthy to received all our time, our effort and our focus, because it of HIM we live and move.

Thanks by to our LORD JESUS CHRIST.

Which of the New Testament forms of "sacrifice" and "offerings" are most meaningful for you?

Loving GOD and loving our neighbor.

Which are most difficult for you?

Financial gift and Alms, gift for the poor:

This two goes hand in hand to you, you gave your best at that specific time to the receiver of finance (if it was more) or the alms (if it was a new thing).

Q12. 
Should worship be a "sacrifice" for us in the sense that it costs us something in time, effort, or focus? Which of the New Testament forms of "sacrifice" and "offerings" are most meaningful for you? Which are most difficult for you? 
Out of gratitude we should be serving our Lord. There is no talk of a sacrifice, an inconvenience, a burden, or an expense involved. Everything should be done out of love and respect for our heavenly Father. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength (Mark 12:30). To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice (Prov 21:3). After all we are His creatures, and He owns us and as such we should be there to serve Him. We are not our own, we were bought at a price (1 Cor 6:19-20). We surrender all to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and live a life of obedience to Him. To bring glory to His name. Just the fact that He elected us before creation is enough for us to be eternally grateful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Q12. Should worship be a "sacrifice" for us in the sense that it costs us something in time, effort, or focus?

Which of the New Testament forms of "sacrifice" and "offerings" are most meaningful for you?

Which are most difficult for you?

Because we are human, I guess we find that discipline is necessary to bring a sacrifice, in the real sense of the word.  Unless  it is spontaneous because the situation is just so favourable.  Singing and praising the Lord and just being able to talk to Him and just declare His greatness at any given time.  To thank Him at any time .  There is just so much to be thankful for.  

I find it very difficult to know to whom to give.  The beggars come from all sides in all shapes and sizes and it is so hard to know when to give and when to ignore.  

Yes indeed...true sacrificial nature in worship does demand a great deal.  True worship is not about mere music performances or giving a sermon; it demands our hearts as well as our emotions.   Outdoor evangelistic preaching and ministry is worship; not a time for socializing and talking about politics.  Worship in accordance with the Law of Moses was definitely a serious matter;  the High priests and Levitical priests had to follow rather strict protocols.   Those that carelessly touch the Ark of the Covenant automatically died.   Even two of Aaron's sons died because they offered a foreign fire.  Worship engaged the reason and the will of the worshipper;  a far cry from the bizarre heathen practices of the mystery religions.

Apostle Paul mentioned that we are to give with a JOYFUL spirit.  Giving in this manner hasn't been part of my life.   Most of the time I would give or do apostolic work as a matter of Ministerial obligations.