JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q14. (1 Kings 8:10-11; 2 Chronicles 7:1-3; 2 Corinthians 3:18) What does the cloud that filled the temple represent? What do God’s glory filling the temple and fire falling on the sacrifice represent? In what sense can we “behold the glory of the Lord” today? How? Why should we take time for that?

• 1 month later...

The cloud represents His glory which may be the same as His spirit, though  somehow more present to our senses than His invisible spirit. I don't know why His glory isn't called Spirit, however. When Moses saw God, he glowed afterward -- something physically changed in the way He looked. When Elijah saw His glory he wrapped His cloak over His face and backed into a cave, but he still was able to see God's glory.  So God's glory must be a presentation of the Spirit that is more greater in measure or powerful to human senses than His typical "still small voice."

(I just re-read the Elijah passage and the word "glory" isn't used in my translation).

God sends His fire as a scary, awe-inspiring sign that He is present and powerful; also, it a sign of confirming a promise or covenant. 

Recently, I was with a group of charismatic Christians who were deep in prayer when one of them said she saw God's glory.  I saw nothing. Perhaps God does allow contemporary people to see His glory as did with Moses or Solomon, but, frankly, I was suspicious that this woman was emotionally overwhelmed. The need for a confirming and dramatic spiritual experiences is strong in some people, so much so that such a need manifests itself as an experience. In other words, she imagined it. I believe that God could manifest Himself as "glory" and am not ruling out the possibility that He does so, but, so far, have not seen it myself. 

--

Clearly the "glory" comes to those who are particularly scrupulous morally, obedient to what they know is His will  and observant at all times. Such integrity is non-existent in fallen humanity, so how could God make this a precondition for seeing His glory? Who of us have "integrity of heart", "uprightness," and are obedient in all things? When God makes His words/blessings contingent on our behavior, I, for one, am worried I don't make the cut. Yet God let these people -- sinful people who did not merit the descriptor "upright" --  see His glory. This is amazing. Were they good enough? No. Yet they saw His glory anyway. We often say God knows our hearts" in times like this, which seems to be a phrase signifying His forgiveness.

--

I do not know how to trigger a vision of God's glory or how to "take time" to apprehend it. His glory seems too great for me to ask for ... so I don't.

The cloud that filled the temple is God  consecrating the temple by His presence in the cloud. Fire falls from above and consuming the sacrifice means God accept their dedication of the temple for His name to be put there.

In our era the glory of God which appeared at Pentecost is in us allowing us to be transformed more and more into His image and that takes time as we live a life consecrated for that glory .

Q14. The cloud represented God’s glory. When the cloud was there it meant that God’s presence was with them. Although we don’t physically see the cloud in our day, we do know that when we make the decision to follow Jesus we are filled with the Holy Spirit , who stays with us always. He gives us power, the same power that was at work when Jesus rose from the dead. He also leads us and guides us, counsels us and comforts in time of trouble. He is slowly changing us so that we are becoming more and more like Jesus.  We are temples of the Holy Spirit, because He lives in us all the time. We must nurture our relationship with the Holy Spirit so we are aware of His prompting and guiding us in life.  We do this by daily reading the Scriptures, taking time to study, in prayer and in fellowship with likeminded believers. 

Q14. (1 Kings 8:10-11; 2 Chronicles 7:1-3; 2 Corinthians 3:18)

What does the cloud that filled the temple represent?

The presence of the GLORY of ALMIGHTY GOD.

What do God's glory filling the temple and fire falling on the sacrifice represent?

To be consecrated or set apart for GOD's purpose.

In what sense can we "behold the glory of the Lord" today?

When we received GOD's SPIRIT we behold GOD's Glory and be transformed.

How?

From one degree of glory to another.

Why should we take time for that?

For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

Q14. (1 KINGS 8:10-11; 2 CHRONICLES 7:1-3; 2 CORINTHIANS 3:18) 
What does the cloud that filled the temple represent? What do God's glory filling the temple and fire falling on the sacrifice represent? In what sense can we "behold the glory of the Lord" today? How? Why should we take time for that? 
The cloud signifies the divine Presence a visible representation of the Lord’s glory. Both represented the radiant outshining of His character and presence. The presence of the glory of God exposes our sinfulness against the holiness of God. God is not only goodness and love, but He is also holy, and it is this holiness that makes us uncomfortable in His presence. We see this in Peter’s reaction to seeing Jesus, “When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus' knees and said, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!" (Luke 5:8). The more we have to do with our Lord Jesus Christ and His Word, the more we see and read about His glory and as we are exposed more and more, we see Jesus in His splendour and moral beauty that it starts rubbing off on us and slowly but surely, we become more and more like Him. 

On 3/18/2024 at 7:26 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q14. (1 Kings 8:10-11; 2 Chronicles 7:1-3; 2 Corinthians 3:18) What does the cloud that filled the temple represent? What do God’s glory filling the temple and fire falling on the sacrifice represent? In what sense can we “behold the glory of the Lord” today? How? Why should we take time for that?

The Cloud represents the Glory of God.  The priests could not enter the temple of the Lord because the glory of the Lord filled it. 

The fire falling on the sacrifice represents His presence.

We can behold the glory of the Lord today by spending time in prayer and fellowship with God, crying out to Him. 

We should get in the habit every day of spending time with the Lord. Fixing our eyes on Jesus.  We will be blessed and grow in the Lord.

And we all, with unveiled face, beholding142 the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." (2 Corinthians 3:18, ESV) 

• 2 weeks later...

Q14. (1 Kings 8:10-11; 2 Chronicles 7:1-3; 2 Corinthians 3:18)

What does the cloud that filled the temple represent?

What do God's glory filling the temple and fire falling on the sacrifice represent?

In what sense can we "behold the glory of the Lord" today? How? Why should we take time for that?

The cloud represents the visible presence and glory of the Lord.  

God was accepting what David through Solomon had built to represent His being among His people and being their God.  

The fire consuming the sacrifice portrays that the judgement of God has fallen upon sin. 

As we meditate on the Word or read the Word, and start acting on the Word (do as it says or live the Word), we become more and more like Him, because the Word is a "mirror" of  Him.  The more we learn of Him the more we become like Him.  

Manifest presence of God.  Yahweh manifesting His Presence akin to a pillar of fire or cloud by day. In the Pentecostal movement, there are accounts of such events.  During times of revival, or during healing services, eyewitnesses have report such occurences.   Evangelist Kathryn Kuhlman often talked about this phenomena: her services were quite low-key devoid of hype and drama.

God's approval of such a Temple.   Such a holy presence, a sure sign of God's ordination.  No such occurrence when the Ark of the Covenant was placed on an ox cart;  the wrath of God was manifested.  Two sons of Aaron offered an unholy fire; the wrath of God was meted out.   Truly it is dire to fall into the hands of an angry God.

When we study the Bible, when we pray as a church and as we go to evangelistic outreaches: the Shekinah glory of God rests upon us.   However; we work out our salvation in trembling and in fear.   Galatians 5:16....we walk in the Spirit, the Shekinah glory of God rests upon us.