JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q15. (1 Kings 9:4–5) What kind of “walk” does God call Solomon to? What does this kind of lifestyle look like? What obstacles does a believer face in seeking to walk before God in this way? What is the opposite of integrity of heart?

• 2 months later...

Whenever there are conditions or qualifications to a promise, I get worried. Will I be "good" enough? Will I be able to meet the conditions adequately? God knows that all of us are made of sinful stuff -- imperfection -- and yet he wants a WHOLE heart. Is my heart whole enough?

Solomon didn't make the cut. His heart was divided ... un-whole. But this begs the question, Who among us are whole enough for God??? 

Since these promises were made prior to Christ, God must have had some way of deciding our wholeness before HIm. After Christ, there is a similar demand. We are to be like Him. Impossible. Yet, in the Bible, forgiveness is juxtaposed with demands for perfection. They exist side-by-side. I know we're all forgiven and have eternal life, but IN THIS LIFE does our sin negate conditional promises?  

God called Solomon to an impossible standard. I'm not surprised he failed. To have integrity of heart, uprightness and utter obedience is ... impossible. That's the lifestyle Solomon was supposed to have. Of course, his womanizing negated this ...

--

As a believer, I don't doubt my salvation. I do doubt, however, the promises in the Bible that are conditioned on my behavior and thoughts. I worry they're not for me. (Or you!) I want to believe in verses that seem like promises, particularly in the OT, but know they are often conditioned on a standard I cannot meet.

Q15. God calls Solomon to a life of uprightness, with integrity of heart and obedience. This lifestyle calls for a total commitment to God and His ways every day of our lives. Our eyes must be focused on God and not worldly matters.Unfortunately we all have a sinful nature, despite us being saved by grace and we can easily slip back into old bad habits very easily if we are not totally dedicated to the ways of God. People around us can make life difficult for us by provoking us and ridiculing us for our beliefs. Work and family commitments can pull us off course if we are not on our guard. Satan will use whatever tactics he can to lead us away from God, as Scripture tells us he is like a roaring lion seeking out vulnerable people that he can devour, The opposite of integrity of heart is Simone who is slip shod in their approach to things in life and they will be the same towards the things of God. Eg. Constantly late for church, meetings, work. Lacks discipline when it comes to having a quiet time, easily distracted, misses quiet time often. Half heated about jobs to be done at home or in church. 

God called king Solomon to walk in integrity of heart, uprightness and obedience. It’s complete surrender to God  in obedience and faithfulness to the laws and commands of God,thus  receiving the fulfillment  of God’s promises to see a seed always on the throne of David. 

Today believers in Christ are asked to walk in obedience to God’s commands so that all things may go well. To have a single minded and whole hearted commitment is a challenge. As long as the lion is still roaring on earth, believers need to keep their focus constantly on Jesus with an undivided heart and make a daily choice to obey with the help of the Holy Spirit I dwelling in them. 
Not to have an integrity of heart is choosing to walk in the flesh 

Q15. (1 Kings 9:4--5)

What kind of "walk" does God call Solomon to?

To walk before GOD in integrity of heart and uprightness.

What does this kind of lifestyle look like?

Integrity of heart: A heart that is single, united in one purpose, perfect in the sense of being undivided. 

Uprightness: To be always right in GOD's eyes, must be just towards the people fear and let forgiveness take over.

What obstacles does a believer face in seeking to walk before God in this way?

Would become a sole person. 

What is the opposite of integrity of heart?

Incompleteness or dishonor.

Q15. (1 KINGS 9:4-5) 
What kind of "walk" does God call Solomon to? What does this kind of lifestyle look like? What obstacles does a believer face in seeking to walk before God in this way? What is the opposite of integrity of heart? 
God demands a walk that shows attitudes and actions that express obedience and faithfulness to the Word of God. He is to walk in integrity of heart, that is to be honest and fair in his treatment of others. To govern the nation according to God’s laws. This all is an outward conformity shown by his actions, and an inward conformity of the heart - to the LORD. It is a lifestyle lived in God’s presence, where He does not leave us or forsake us; a lifestyle lived in obedience to His laws and teachings; a lifestyle lived with the desire and ability to obey His commands; a lifestyle lived in prayer in which He helps us in our daily needs; and a lifestyle which will help spread the knowledge that the LORD is the only true God. The obstacles we face are our own sinful ways and our hypocrisy. The flesh – our own sinful desires. Our worshipping other gods like power, wealth, and sex. The way we try to conform to society instead of obeying our Lord. The world’s hostility towards us. The opposite of integrity of heart is dishonesty and hypocrisy. A person “walks in integrity” when he walks with God and not before the eyes of men. “The man of integrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out” (Proverbs 10:9).  

On 3/18/2024 at 7:27 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q15. (1 Kings 9:4–5) What kind of “walk” does God call Solomon to? What does this kind of lifestyle look like? What obstacles does a believer face in seeking to walk before God in this way? What is the opposite of integrity of heart?

God calls Solomon to a walk of integrity of heart, uprightness, and obedience

This kind of lifestyle is a single hearted love for God and following God's path, not your own.

The obstacles we face in seeking to walk before God in this way is our own flesh, we need to be single minded and totally committed to God and obey the leading of the Holy Spirit.

The opposite of integrity of heart is walking your own way, in disobedience and not God's way.

• 2 weeks later...

Narrow and straight road of holiness.  Solomon was charged to follow the statues, ordinances, testimonies of the Torah.  He wasn't to called to be wavering like the idol worshipper during the incident of Prophet Elijah and the backslidden.

No pagan temples, no more walking with those of pagan religions.  Solomon started to be unequally yoked in marriage.  Ungodly political alliances wrecked havoc for Israel:  Kings Ahab, Omri and Ahab were responsible for the prevelent idol worship that came into Israel 

Ungodly friends, neighbors and even family members who have been born again.   They cannot understand the Full Gospel due to a shroud over their eyes.   The spirit of compromise amongst Church associates can cause a Bible student to back slide.

Backsliding is the opposite of integrity.  This is what the Prophet Ezekiel preached against: backsliding.   Ezekiel underscores this is many of his sermons and visions.   Truly it is a serious matter to fall in the hands of the angry God.   Ezekiel chapters 8-10 touch on this matter of secret sins and hidden abomination.   The Shekinah glory of God left the Temple, little by little due to the persistent idol and ungodly agendas in the Temple.

Q15. (1 Kings 9:4--5)

What kind of "walk" does God call Solomon to?

What does this kind of lifestyle look like?

What obstacles does a believer face in seeking to walk before God in this way?

What is the opposite of integrity of heart?

God actually gives David as an example to follow.  David was a human standard. David loved God and when he failed he came to Him in confession and asked for cleansing. He wanted to have fellowship with God.  Solomon is to "walk" in integrity of heart, and uprightness, doing according to all that God had commanded him.  He was to keep God's statutes and precepts. 

For the king it was not to accumulate personal wealth,  not to have horses and chariots as the other nations.  Not to go down to "Egypt".  Not to make alliance with foreign nations who would turn their eyes from following Yahweh.   Not to have many wives and very definitely not to marry foreign wives who would bring in to the nation worship of their idols,  which God had forgiven.  

This lifestyle would keep us in fellowship with God.  Any obstacles one faces, be it deliberately placed in our way by non-believers or being there as a course of us still living in this world, which is full of evil, one need not face alone for God has promised to be with us.  

The opposite of integrity of heart would be hypocrisy or dishonesty.