JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q16. (2 Chronicles 7:13-14; Daniel 9:3-16) In what ways does Daniel’s prayer exemplify the conditions for God’s healing? What must God’s people do to experience renewal and revival today? What conditions must be true in our hearts? How might God’s healing show itself in a person? In a congregation? In a region? In a nation? Why is a Holy Spirit-sent revival so important in our day?

• 2 months later...

The four attitudes/behaviors for which Daniel prayed seem to be preconditions for  revival. In this case, revival is national -- it is the restoration of spiritual life in Israel.

This isn't a formula though it is treated as such by most of the preaching I've heard on these verses. To me, this seems like a complicated "if-then" statement: IF you do "A", and you do "B", and you do "C," THEN God will do "D". 

In this case, IF (one or more people ) ...

• A -- humble themselves
  • B -- pray
  • C -- earnestly seek God
  • D -- repent

... THEN God will send revival and restore the land.

--

Is this applicable today? I note that Daniel prayed alone. He didn't drag others into his prayer to get a quorum, or even reach the "two or more ..." of the NT. Only one guy prayed for revival. Just one.  Perhaps that's all it takes for God to revive a nation.

Having said this it's clear that for years Westerners have been praying for revival at the same time that secularism became further entrenched. Were their prayers not sincere enough ... not heart-felt enough? Why didn't God answer these prayers?

I can't resolve why some prayers are answered and others are not: Why are some Christians healed while others die in pain?;  Why are some soldiers miraculously delivered while others are slaughtered?; Why do some countries experience revival while others slip into apostasy and decline?

I know that God answers all prayers and that "NO" can be an answer. But these verses suggest that God will NOT answer "No." It's a promise, in other word, with conditions.  If we meet the conditions, He is "obligated" to fulfill his side of the if-then statement. But our ability to rise to meet the preconditions seem impossible. Are we ever humble enough, for example, to meet condition "A"? If a little anger and pride slip into our prayers, are those prayers negated?

Can we ever reach the mark??

At times, I see myself as a leaf floating down a river, carried by a current I can't see or control. My prayers express my desire to guide this floating journey. I can only trust that God will not allow me to sink to the bottom of the river (where many leaves have disintegrated) or be pushed aside to the shoreline. I'm not sure my prayers have much effect ... but am afraid to say this because I don't want to anger God or jettison any prayers that may actually change history or even my life in some tiny way.

Q16. (2 Chronicles 7:13-14; Daniel 9:3-16)

In what ways does Daniel's prayer exemplify the conditions for God's healing?

He is a humble person, he repents on behalf of the nation, by seeking GOD's face he prayers three time to GOD.

What must God's people do to experience renewal and revival today?

Humbling themselves and repentance by confessing the sins.

What conditions must be true in our hearts?

A repentance heart.

How might God's healing show itself in a person?

Will be a free person.

In a congregation?

Unity amongst the people. 

In a region?

Unity amongst the population groups.

In a nation?

Unity amongst the population groups.

Why is a Holy Spirit-sent revival so important in our day?

People have moved like in the Old Testament day away from GOD to idols, today the people are still turning their back towards our faithful GOD.

Daniel prayed for forgiveness for himself and the nation of Israel which has been deported due to their sins. He humbled himself before the lord standing in the gap for Israel.

God’s people need to pray according to 2 chronicle 7:14 . In humility call out to God in prayer for forgiveness ,earnestly seeking God with a sincere heart and repentance. The hearts should express griefs over the sins that bring sincere  repentance which pleases God. 
Healing in a person brings joy, love in a congregation, peace among the people in a region  and prosperity in a nation.

The power of the Holy Spirit is needed to bring a breakthrough against all resistances from the enemy . 

Q16. (2 CHRONICLES 7:13-14; DANIEL 9:3-16) 
In what ways does Daniel's prayer exemplify the conditions for God's healing? What must God's people do to experience renewal and revival today? What conditions must be true in our hearts? How might God's healing show itself in a person? In a congregation? In a region? In a nation? Why is a Holy Spirit-sent revival so important in our day?
He confessed his sins and the sins of the nation. Humbly coming before God fasting, wearing sackcloth and ashes – evidence of mourning in grief and repentance. Admitting their disobedience and their wicked ways, at the same time acknowledging that God was right and just in disciplining the nation. But he also, reminded God of His covenant of love with His people. He prayed for the removal of God’s wrath, basing his requests on God’s great mercy, favour, and forgiveness. Ending his prayer with “O Lord, listen! O Lord.”  To experience revival, Daniel’s prayer of intercession (Dan 9:1-19) is a good example we can use. A prayer that is based on God’s character: His greatness, His holiness, His faithfulness, His righteousness, His forgiveness, His mercy, His love, and His justice. It is a prayer of a person, of a group, or of a nation confessing their sinfulness, the need for God’s forgiveness, and the complete surrender to His will. Resulting in a renewed passion in seeking and serving our Lord Jesus. There must be a change of heart, the hardened heart full of evil thoughts - murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, and slander. This must be changed with a heart full of the fruit of repentance - love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Gal 5:22). If ever there was a nation in need of divine intervention it is my country. The politicians have plundered the country dry, leaving us on the brink of becoming a failed state. A country of 84 murders a day, 102 rapes a day, and 33% unemployment. We must forsake our sins, turn from a life that is centred in self-greed, in idolatry, and in worldly flesh. This will lead to forgiveness and God hearing and answering our prayers. None of this can be done without the help of the Holy Spirit. 

On 3/18/2024 at 7:29 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q16. (2 Chronicles 7:13-14; Daniel 9:3-16) In what ways does Daniel’s prayer exemplify the conditions for God’s healing? What must God’s people do to experience renewal and revival today? What conditions must be true in our hearts? How might God’s healing show itself in a person? In a congregation? In a region? In a nation? Why is a Holy Spirit-sent revival so important in our day?

Daniel prays earnestly for mercy, humbling himself, he confesses his people's sins as his sin as part of this sinful people, though he is a righteous man himself.

To experience renewal and revival today we must come to the Lord in humility, calling out to him in prayer, earnestly seeking of God himself, and sincere repentance for the direction of our lives and a change of direction.

We must be humble and sincere in our heart.

God's healing will show in us as - delivered, free, joyous.

In congregation - love, unity, freedom.

In region - unity, forgiveness, healing.

In nation - A mighty move of God.

A Holy Spirit revival is so important because we cannot do anything of ourselves, it is the Holy Spirit in us that does the work.

• 3 weeks later...

Q16. (2 Chronicles 7:13-14; Daniel 9:3-16)

In what ways does Daniel's prayer exemplify the conditions for God's healing?  Daniel sought the Lord with prayer and supplication, meaning humbly and earnestly. He prayed with fasting, in sackcloth and ashes. Then he confesses the sins of the nation, by identifying himself as one of them.  He is very specific in naming the sins, e.g., rebelling against God, departing from His precepts, not listening to God's servants, the prophets, not obeying the Voice of the Lord etc.  The conditions of God's healing are: humility, prayer, seeking God's face, confession of sins

What must God's people do to experience renewal and revival today?  They need to follow Daniel's example, really meaning it.  They need to cast themselves upon the mercy of God.  

What conditions must be true in our hearts?   We need to be truly humble and united in our request and confession.

How might God's healing show itself in a person?  More of God is seen in the person's life.  A change takes place.  Confessing sins means leaving that way of life and turning away from it completely and going in another direction.  e.g. if it is anger that is plaguing the person.  Upon confessing that, he turns from that and allows God to help him manifest the fruits of the Spirit, viz., patience and long suffering.  In this way the Fruit of the Spirit as reflected in Galatians, becomes more and more evidence in our lives.  

How might God's healing show itself in a congregation?  The congregation will reach out more than ever before to its members in need and also to the  community surrounding it.  Again it will be the Fruit of the Spirit that will be manifested in the life of the people.  

How might God's healing show itself in a region?  There will be more unity.  Fighting and bloodshed will be part of the past.

How might God's healing show itself in a nation?   Godly leadership and godly decisions will be made.  Violence, bloodshed and evil will be minimal.  There will be a return to God's ways.  

Why is a Holy Spirit-sent revival so important in our day?   Man cannot make this change, it needs to be implemented by the Holy Spirit.  We need God's mercy, it is nothing that we do of ourselves.  The world is so full of evil and there is so much pain and agony caused because of these selfish, ungodly acts.  We need the Holy Spirit to revive the people yet again to return to God.

1.  ACKNOWLEDGE OF SINS: There is an explicit statement that God's ordinances and statutes have been disregarded. Admittedly sining and doing wrong.

2. ASKING FOR FORGIVENESS:  Here is an act of holy contrition. There is a plea for forgiveness; there is a firm resolution to avoid the near occasions of sins.

3. ASKING FOR GOD'S MERCIES:  Emphasis is on God's mercies not His justice.  The mercies of David are illustrated through the Book of Isaiah. Despite the rebellions of Israel, God has such a deep love for Israel.  God has our names "tattooed" in His hand; though our mothers forget us, God doesn't forget us.

For revival, there has to be heartfelt acknowledgement of sins, contrition, pleas for forgiveness, and asking for God's mercies. We remember that mercy is one of the characteristics of Yahweh as revealed to Moses on Mt. Sinai.  The Ark of the Covenant and Temple liturgical rituals are  beautiful descriptions of the mercy of God.

All the above are necessary for the healing of the individual, city, local churches and for nations.  We see that Ezra wrought a thorough REFORMATION when he demanded the Levites and the Israelites to forsake their mixed marriages and foreign gods.  Ezra and the Prophet Ezekiel had the Deuteronomonic code underneath their belts.  Serious Bible REFORMATION means serious repentance and forsaking sins.   Great preacher Tozer lamented that churches were not preaching serious repentance and forsaking of sins; very similar to great Lutheran preacher Dietrich Bonhoeffer.  "Cheap grace" preaching misled so many Christains:   people want a superficial Christianity without mortification of the flesh, and suffering, including heartfelt acknowledgement of offending Almighty God.

Truly we need a New Pentecost !  Too many churches have lost the sense of the HOLINESS of God.   Just like the two sons of Aaron:  offering a strange fire in the Temple.  Another time the Ark of the Covenant was placed on a cart: totally repugnant to God's Word.  Even when someone try to steady the cart when one of the oxen stumbled; God's wrath was manifested.