JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q18. Which of Solomon’s building projects are designed to glorify Yahweh? Which are designed to glorify Solomon? Which are designed to provide protection and security for his people? Many of God’s people are in day-to-day provision mode, but if God has given you a bit of disposable income, which of your primary financial outlays are designed to honor God? Which are designed to serve others?

• 2 months later...

Most of Solomon's projects seem to have been built for defensive purposes -- walls, fortified towns, etc. -- or for his foreign wife. Since there was only one temple, perhaps it was the only structure built exclusively for Yahweh. The wall he built seems too short to be defensive ... it's nothing like the Great Wall of China, for example, that stretches for tens of miles and on which could walk sentries. That wall must have provided some protection, however, as Solomon was a wise man, and presumably a wise builder. 

If I had "a bit" of disposable income, I'd build a cottage for myself -- small and next to a creek -- and then build two more cottages deep in the woods in which Christians could come to relax, mend, heal or hide as needed. These two cabins would be stocked with many shelves of books, some fishing gear and a few cords of wood for a wood stove. Simple but lovely.

Back to Solomon ... he didn't use his wealth to serve his people, other than to build fortified cities. He could have, like Joseph, erected huge granaries for times of famine, or dug more water wells, etc. Instead, Solomon seemed most interested in defensive building. Perhaps this makes sense given his time/place, but I wish he had done more to help ordinary people live extraordinary lives. This would have served them -- " ... what you do for the least of these, you do for (Yahweh)."

Q. 18. The temple was built by Solomon to glorify God. 
Solomon then built a bigger structure for himself, this was the palace. 
For the protection and security of his people Solomon captured and fortified the towns around Jerusalem or towns that would be adjacent to a way leading to Jerusalem. He had also built the wall around Jerusalem. The towns he fortified included Grezer, Hazor, Megiddo, Hamath Zobah, Beth Horon, Baalath, and Tamar.

The temple was built to glorify Yahweh.

Solomon built Solomon palace including , The palace of Lebanon,The throne hall, and the hall of justice, for himself. 

These cities Solomon fortified as protection, Hazor, Meggido,Beth Horon, the wall of Jerusalem and the supporting terraces the Milo for protection and security for his people.

Q18.

Which of Solomon's building projects are designed to glorify Yahweh?

The temple.

Which are designed to glorify Solomon?

His palaces.

Which are designed to provide protection and security for his people?

The wall of Jerusalem, "the supporting terraces (Millo), and Hazor, Megiddo and Gezer.

Many of God's people are in day-to-day provision mode, but if God has given you a bit of disposable income, which of your primary financial outlays are designed to honor God?

a Tenth of it.

Which are designed to serve others?

With in the 90% to meet the need of others.

Q18. 
Which of Solomon's building projects are designed to glorify Yahweh? Which are designed to glorify Solomon? Which are designed to provide protection and security for his people? Many of God's people are in day-to-day provision mode, but if God has given you a bit of disposable income, which of your primary financial outlays are designed to honour God? Which are designed to serve others? 
The temple was designed to glorify Yahweh. Those designed and built to glorify himself included his own magnificent palace. Being substantially larger this took 13 years to build against the 7 for the temple. Then there is the palace built for his wife, Pharaoh’s daughter. Those built to provide protection and security for his people included towns being fortified and refortified such as, Hazor, Megiddo, Gezer, Beth Horon, Baalath, Tamer, Hamath Zobah, and Tamar. I feel that at first, I must support the spreading of the gospel. Today there is an urgent need for people to get to know our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. This I do as long as my church is serious about this task. Then, when I can, I try to help my family or members of the congregation, or my neighbour that are in need. 

On 3/18/2024 at 7:32 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q18. Which of Solomon’s building projects are designed to glorify Yahweh? Which are designed to glorify Solomon? Which are designed to provide protection and security for his people? Many of God’s people are in day-to-day provision mode, but if God has given you a bit of disposable income, which of your primary financial outlays are designed to honor God? Which are designed to serve others?

Project to glorify Yahweh - The Temple                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Glorifying for Solomon, was the Palace of the Forest of Lebanon where he and his harem lived and the palace for Pharaoh's daughter.

For protection and security for his people - These  projects were designed to shore up defenses of Jerusalem and key locations that guard access to the central Judean highlands.

A bit of disposable income for me would be, in addition to my tithe, helps for the church, missions and people in need.

• 2 weeks later...

Q18. Which of Solomon's building projects are designed to glorify Yahweh?  The temple was built for that purpose.

Which are designed to glorify Solomon?  Inadvertently it would have been the palaces which he built i,e., the Palace of the Forest of Lebanon,  the covered colonnade,  the Throne Hall/Hall of Justice, and the Palace for Pharaoh's daughter.

Which are designed to provide protection and security for his people?   The Wall around Jerusalem, the Millo, Hazor, Megiddo, Gezer, Hamoth Zobah, Beth-Horon, Baalath, and Tamar.  

Many of God's people are in day-to-day provision mode, but if God has given you a bit of disposable income, which of your primary financial outlays are designed to honor God?  The tithes

Which are designed to serve others?   The offerings

Personally I believe that whatever I deem to do I want to do it to serve and honor and glorify God.  I don't want to do it for my own or man's glory.

• 3 weeks later...

The main temple was built a house unto the name of the Lord in accordance with his father King David's wishes.

Buildings to glorify King Solomon:  Palace of the Forest of Lebanon, Colonnade, Throne Hall of Justice and Pharaoh's daughter house.

National & Jerusalem security:   Jerusalem wall, Millo, cities: Gezer, Hazor, Meggido, Hamath, Beth-Heron, Baalath and Tadmor.

Tithing and offerings to assist the needy and build up the Church of God (Isaiah 58). Our hearts must be whole-hearted for God, singleminded and full of sincerity.