JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q25. Drifting
  • 2 months later...

Drifting into sin is more insidious than suddenly succumbing to sin because it includes a slow, unnoticed change in one's perceptions, ideas and values, which is far harder to undo than a single, impetuous and stupid mistake. When character changes, it drags the rest of the Christian with it. This can be good if the change is in the right direction. I've noticed that a slow, hard-fought positive change in outlook is much stronger and deeper than even a well-reasoned determination to do differently. The latter is easy to forget.

Thus, drifting seems more durable -- it's more difficult to retrace steps and re-find a pure mind after drifting from the Lord.

Dry spells in faith may seem like drifting, but in actuality they're just times of swimming in place. Drifting, in contrast, actually moves a Christian from a more to less desirable place. Perhaps dry spells lead to drifting? If so, one way of preventing drifting is to actively and  determinedly swim the other direction, that is, to counter the drift with activities and thoughts that tug toward God.

I know many people who saturate their mind's with Christian music to counter "secularizing" thoughts and tendencies. This doesn't work for me. Instead, I write long, poorly constructed, error-ridden and unreadable essays on what's wrong and necessary correctives. When I write, though it takes time, I eventually think more clearly. Putting words to paper helps me see the problem and pray. So when I'm confused or my heart is heavy, or when I feel anger or bitterness welling up inside of me, I write and write and write until I check the "drift" toward sinful thoughts and pull back toward Him. 

Thank you for another wonderful teaching, Pastor Ralph. I enjoyed "Solomon" and will be doing "David" next ... out of order. Thank you, again.

Gradual drifting is more dangerous than suddenly giving to a temptation is because it is not that obvious but subtly it gains ascendancy unnoticed or unaware whereas suddenly giving to a temptation can  bring a jolt to our consciousness.

Keeping alert and vigilant through prayers and meditation of the word and hanging around God loving people with whom we can be made accountable are ways of keeping  away from drifting away from the lord. 

Much appreciation for all the knowledge gained through this episode of learning the life of king Solomon and the warning to be sober and vigilant in our walk with Jesus.  

Q25. (HEBREWS 2:1) 
Why is gradual drifting more dangerous than suddenly giving in to a temptation? How can you protect yourself from drifting away from the Lord? 
As a thought occurs more and more often, we start accepting the idea of it, or at least feeling comfortable with it, and our defences are weakened. The same with sin. As sin takes more and more control of our lives, we become immune to it and accept it as the norm – we start backsliding. We become spiritually lethargic. If we are not careful this can lead to apostasy. The moment we start to let go of the Word and neglect praying, that is the beginning of drifting away. The only way we can protect ourself from drifting further and further away from our Lord is to hold on to the Word, and our fellowship with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. We need to recognize the danger early. 

• 2 weeks later...

Q25. (Hebrews 2:1) Why is gradual drifting more dangerous than suddenly giving in to a temptation?

ANSWER: It's that ever so slight shift away from faith and truth. This is a very real danger that you and I face every day. It comes in the form of being too busy for Bible study, prayer, or poor Church attendance.

How can you protect yourself from drifting away from the Lord?

ANSWER: In the Christian life we must go on listening to God’s word in Jesus. And we must do this with very close attention. We cannot treat this casually. We cannot act as if we already know all we need to know, or that we have nothing to gain from listening to Jesus.

Q25. (Hebrews 2:1) Why is gradual drifting more dangerous than suddenly giving in to a temptation?

How can you protect yourself from drifting away from the Lord?

Pay attention to what I have heard or learnt from the Scriptures.  Faith comes from hearing the Word of God.   Putting it into practice.  Praying continually, keeping nothing from the Lord.  He knows it anyway.  Tell Him my inmost fears, joys, 'secrets', etc., withhold nothing.  Confess my sins.  

Gradual drifting is not so noticeable as suddenly giving in to a temptation.  The gradual drifting will very likely include all kinds of sins and need a difficult come back and turn around from something that has become a way of life.  Whereas having done something once is almost a shock to the system and horror that you have succumbed to that.  The guilt for that needs to be overcome.  Confession and turning away immediately before it ensnares you and it is easier to do it again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 7:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q25. (Hebrews 2:1) Why is gradual drifting more dangerous than suddenly giving in to a temptation? How can you protect yourself from drifting away from the Lord?

Gradual drifting is more dangerous than suddenly giving into temptation because gradual drifting is slow and we don't even know how far we have drifted off and harder to get back, while giving into temptation we realize it right away and repent. 

We can protect our self from drifting away from the Lord by having a relationship with Him and when our conscience tells us no, we obey God.

• 2 weeks later...

Such backsliding is serious: just like the Ephesian church believers, a gradual decline to live for Christ takes place.   Like the Laodicea Church, a luke warmness and accepting of heterodox doctrines takes place. Very much like the sinking of the Titanic; people don't want to accept reality.  Sadly in many churches: study of the Holy Bible is sadly neglected as well as daily prayer and receiving the Sacraments.