JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Living God

On 2/14/2006 at 8:48 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (1 Samuel 17:26, 36; Hebrews 10:31) How do you think David's understanding of the Living God enabled him to challenge Goliath? David's faith allowed him to see that his Living God, Yahweh was with him for the battle. He didn't fear the giant because his Lord, his God would be right there with him. It's interesting that the army of Israelites didn't have the same faith in their God Yahweh, as David did. It does prove though the power that one gains in having God on your side.

How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"? In Revelation, the reference of "I am the Alpha and the Omega" is the idea that God is the beginning, the end and therefore eternal.

Read Hebrews 10:31 in context. Why should the Living God inspire fear and dread? There are 2 contrasting ideas in Hebrews and Samuel. The latter is in reference to David's impending battle with Goliath when his power and bravery was reinforced when he called upon the name of the God of Israel. In Hebrew's it's the principle that God Almighty will avenge if you wrong the Son of Man. Basically don't incur the wrath of God Almighty because He is both the warrior and the avenger.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David believed with his whole heart and enlightened mind that GOD IS NOW.  He was priest/prophet.  JOSHUA 3:10 ---like Joshua, David had a real grip that the heathen would be cast out. David knew that the so called idols of the Philistines were defunct.

What a privilege that we are part of the Holy priesthood of Jesus Christ the High Priest!  Now that we have access to the Holy of Holies AT THIS MOMENT-NOW,  we can have fear and dread in a good sense.  We are predestined to be the elect!   What an amazing calling.   Our hearts are full of gratitude that we are beckoned to serve the Lord all the days of our lives.  By having fear and dread, we will not want to backslide: we will not be apathetic concerning our spiritual lives.   Jonathan Edward's sermon "Sinners in the hands of an angry God" succinctly explains Hebrews 10:31 pefectly.

• 2 years later...

Q4. (1 Samuel 17:26, 36; Hebrews 10:31) How do you think David's understanding of the Living God enabled him to challenge Goliath?
David knew that God was all powerful and that He claimed the Israelites as His own. He lead them from the Egyptians and through the wilderness. Never once did they lack anything, so of course He would protect and defend those He chose. David knew that God was with him and that He would fight their battles. Knowing all that he knew about God and what He’d done for His people in the past, David knew He’d be with him to defeat any army that came up against Gods army of chosen people.

Read Hebrews 10:31 in context. Why should the Living God inspire fear and dread?

I don’t know that it’s meant to be fear in a bad way. Fear could be us seeing God face to face and being amazed or star struck. I would be at a lost for words to see God, I’d cry tears of joy and thankfulness. It could also be fear or terrifying if your to stand in front of God knowing you knew His word. You’ve been saved but then decided to leave His word and chase after the things of this world. The fact that you knew better and didn’t do better an know you’re in front of Him. That would cause some to be fearful because you know you did wrong an know it’s to late to correct it.