JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Reckoning Ourselves Dead to Sin's Power

Christ is victorious and has all power. If we are united to Him. what Christ has becomes ours so we can be victorious over sin. Our eyes must look upon His face of beauty to the extent that the dazzling sights of earth will grow strangely dim and will lose its allure and attraction. We have to faith to believe that this is true and we have to live so close to Him. The effect in our live will be glorious and we can praise God for Jesus and His salvation and victory that is ours. How wonderful

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11? Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true? What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

I do believe it is saying to consider yourself to have obtained this freedom by being buried in Christ's death, burial and resurrection. I believe from personal experience that once you die to your self-will and flesh, and accept the will of Christ through this dying to yourself daily, the activity of daily sinning becomes less and less to the point that no one can hold anything to your charge and now when a tongue rises up against you, Christ is quick to condemn it.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11? Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true? What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

Paul uses the word count in our relationship to Christ because we are one with and in him.

We believe this actual word count is a relationship to the Lord, by His death he died to sin and that once and for all, his life he now lives to God. We consider or count ourselves dead to sin and our relationship to it broken or dead, because we now live in Christ Jesus.

Through baptism we are counted or considered dead to sin, no longer believing in Satan's lies and no longer his slave to sin.  

• 7 months later...

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11?

As Dr Ralph says "The basic meaning (of to reckon, consider, count)  is "to determine by mathematical process, reckon, calculate." Often used  by Paul in a transferred sense: as a result of a calculation, "evaluate, estimate, look upon as, consider. 

So it does not  mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true.  No it is used here as our reckoning takes into full account the presence of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit in our lives. These two have such a positive impact upon our lives that as we share our lives with them we cannot help but know  - we cannot but believe the truth that Christ has broken the power of sin and the flesh, and that we can step out of slavery into freedom. Praise to be the God who has showed us such grace.

As we read and are taught the meaning in these verses, Romans 6:1-10we can see the logic and the passion of the man Paul and the power of the Divine Christ shows through and we are convicted in the power of the Lord's resurection over the power of evil and are convinced of Christ's power to deliver us from death and that He will live with us in power and glory for evermore. Praise God!

• 3 years later...

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11? Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true? What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin? http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=804  

The word “reckon, consider, count” refers to numbering we among those who are crucified with Christ and a member of the group who is dead to sin, but alive in Christ. This doesn’t just mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that either isn’t, or might be true, but with faith we accept the fact that we are alive with Christ, though dead to sin. Rather than trying to convince ourselves of something written as possibly being true, we know, from the shallowest to the deepest depths in our hearts that it is 100% ironclad guaranteed TRUE. The effect in our lives is a renewing of our minds and actions because the addiction to sin has been crushed. Not the same as you would see in an AA or NA meeting where people stand up and introduce themselves with something to the tune of “I am an alcoholic” or “I am a drug addict”. We could say something like “I used to be an alcoholic/drug addict, but that person has died and being a new creation, I am neither”. In other words, our past has disappeared to where it should be – somewhere into a history book which God has cast into the sea to be never opened again. We have been set free and it doesn’t matter as to who likes or doesn’t like it.

• 1 year later...
On 8/16/2008 at 1:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Essentially to "deduce" .

No. It's the glory of God to conceal a matter and the honour of kings to reveal it. Prov. 25:2. We're coming to a faith-based deduction. 

We'll gradually realize that we can live Godly lives through the help of the Holy Spirit. 

• 5 months later...

It means that we are to consider ourselves dead to sin and that it no longer has power over us anymore. We are not slaves to sin anymore. We are alive with Christ who is our head.

No because Christ actually died and was buried and rose again and we did too when we believed in Him. This is the truth; when we believed then we became one with Him and left our old life behind.
The effect will be that we no longer sin willfully like we used to; that we no longer do the things we did before. We no longer hang around the same people or places. Now we have a desire to please the Lord not ourselves.

• 1 month later...

It means to actually think about the fact that we are dead to sin. No it means we need to consider the implications of being dead to sin and what it means for us and our lives in Christ. When we actually consider it people will see the changes in our lives and how the Lord has changed us through His love.

• 3 months later...

To reckon, consider, or count ourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus is to treat this spiritual reality as fact, as a final verdict, and irrevocable. It’s not based on “positive thinking” or “convincing feelings” I may have on a particularly good day. Sadly, something can be true, but not realized (reckoned) until we act    upon it. If I’m a prisoner that was given freedom, but remain in my cell, am I not still legally free? Faith takes hold of Christ’s completed work of redemption and lives out of that truth. I walk out of the cell through the opened door and leave my jail clothes behind. I’ll be tempted at times to listen to old voices and vices and maybe return. Sin’s influence will still be present but my union with Christ breaks the bonds and gives me strength to seek holiness, have a distaste for sin, feel conviction when I wander, and humbly follow a new master. Being made alive in Christ changes my relationship to sin and my once domineering desire to sin. 

• 2 months later...

To count means to determine, to evaluate and to 'look upon as'. No it is reality. Sin has been paid for and I am set free of its power, it has been rendered powerless of its destructive force in my life. Now I can live a victorious, joyous, holy life in Christ Jesus. 

• 2 years later...

To count, in verse 11, means to believe. It's a outcome of faith, not that of the ability to do math.

It does feel as if we're convincing ourselves that the ability to be sinless is true, for everyone on this site knows they have sinned ... recently. So, we're asserting something that's true in an eternal/spiritual sense, but not true in our mortal bodies. For the fact is we sin. 

Christ's death paid the penalty for my sin, and in the eternal/spiritual sense, I have been cleansed from it, but in my life -- my real lived life -- I still sin. So the payment He paid has been accepted by God but not "cashed." The cashing of the payment comes at my death, or at the time of Christ's return. There's a time delay, that is.

Because I know I have been redeemed, I can rest assured that when I die, I'll be with Him. But I also know that in this life, I'll constantly battle sin and sinful tendencies. The Holy Spirit that Christ left in us helps me not sin by jarring my conscience when I think sinfully, but this doesn't erase the tendency nor does it erase the sin itself.